Deadline: 15 February (for Spring issue), 20 April, 20 July, 20 October 2011
The submission period is open for the Spring issue (Vol. 11, No. 3). We will be taking submissions now through Febuary 15, 2011 for the next issue of flashquake. Special extended submission period for this issue only.
Submit Your Flash Writing
flashquake accepts unpublished flash fiction and nonfiction up to 1,000 words in length, poetry of no more than 35 lines, and prose poetry up to 300 words. We will no longer accept previously published work.
Within those categories, we are seeking complete works, stories, essays and poems that demonstrate a mastery of the English language, contain original thoughts, demonstrate imagination, and weave their magic with power. We don't appreciate romance stories, nor work with excessive gore or violence, "goth" vampire tales, hard-core science fiction, rhyming poetry, or works of a religious nature.
You may offer one work of fiction, one work of nonfiction, and three poems per reading period. We do not accept hardcopy submissions. All work to be considered must be sent in the body of an email message — we will not open attachments. If you withdraw a submission, you may not resubmit until the next reading period.
We consider all submissions final. We will not substitute rewritten submissions for the original. Be sure to include the following information with all submissions:
* E-mail address
* Land mail address
* Title of your work
* The category for which you are submitting
* A short (100 words maximum) biography written in the third person
Be sure to save your work as plain text, and send it as such in the body of an e-mail message to email@example.com. If your work is illegible due to misinterpreted characters, we will not consider it.
We are a paying publication, and each author we select for publication will receive between $5 and $25. In return, we will display your work in the issue for which it is chosen, and will include it in our online archive. Payment will be made by check (or Paypal) within three weeks of publication. We regret that we will no longer be able to provide CD copies of our web site, but we do retain previous issues in our online archive.
Publication and Reading Schedule
We only accept work during the reading periods listed below.
* Fall Issue, published September 1. Submissions accepted June 1 to July 20. Contributor notification deadline around August 20.
* Winter Issue, published December 1. Submissions accepted September 1 to October 20. Contributor notification deadline around November 20.
* Spring Issue, published March 1. Submissions accepted December 1 to January 20. Contributor notification deadline around February 20.
* Summer Issue, published June 1. Submissions accepted March 1 to April 20. Contributor notification deadline around May 20.
Due to the increased volume of submissions we have been receiving, we are no longer able to return comments on your work.
More information here.