Arts Council Napa Valley (ACNV) is now accepting nominations for Napa County's Poet Laureate. Nominations may be made by a cultural organization, such as a poetry society, writers' group, college or university, local arts and humanities council, or library, or by individuals. The postmark deadline for nominations is June 4, 2012.
Nominees should be distinguished poets who are residents of Napa County and who are committed to outreach and the promotion of poetry countywide. "We will assist the Poet Laureate in arranging for presentations and poetry readings in Napa," said Olivia Everett, Interim Executive Director of ACNV and coordinator of the Poet Laureate program. "We do ask that Napa's Poet Laureate devote at least six days a year for free Poet Laureate appearances. The selected person would be able to designate a target audience or 'platform' for his/her tenure and would also be featured on the ACNV website."
As an ambassador for poetry, the Napa County Poet Laureate is expected to promote citizens’ awareness of poetry as well as heighten their appreciation of the art form. The Poet Laureate will strive to forge a meaningful connection between poetry and the community, undertaking projects that make poetry more available and more accessible to people in their everyday lives. During the Laureate’s two-year appointment, he or she will be expected to officiate at selected public gatherings, initiate a dialogue between poets and the community, inspire others in their writing and personal expression and bring recognition to the history and tradition of poetry in Napa County.
MISSION & GOALS OF THE NAPA COUNTY POET LAUREATE PROGRAM
• Celebrate through poetry where we live and who we are
• Inspire others in their writing and personal expression
• Initiate dialogue between poets and the community
• Promote poetry through the media and through cultural organizations and to reach out to community institutions
• Represent Napa County in the wider community
• Bring recognition to the history and tradition of poetry in Napa County
• Propose specific goals and activities in order to expand the appreciation of poetry in the community
• Encourage writing in all age groups
• Promote poetry at cultural events
• Create new work
• Create and/or read poetry at civic occasions, celebrations and moments of public transition
• Bring attention to poetry in less traditional settings
The Napa County Poet Laureate will be appointed by the Napa County Board of Supervisors on June 12, 2012 from a list of nominees provided by ACNV. Selection will be achieved through a competitive nomination process. The application process requires both a nominator and a nominee.
Nominees provided by Arts Council Napa Valley (ACNV) will be garnered through the following process: ACNV will solicit nominations through a "Call for Nominations" to be posted to the ACNV website (www.artscouncilnapavalley.org) under the "Artist Opportunities" section and through direct contacts at universities, literary groups and ACNV members.
The position of Napa County Poet Laureate will be filled by a writer who must have contributed to Napa County’s poetic community, written poetry of merit and should be comfortable with public presentation and interaction.
POSITION DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The Napa County Poet Laureate will:
• Be introduced at the Napa County Board of Supervisors upon approval
• Be a contributing judge at any ACNV poetry contests during their tenure
• Perform at least one reading at an ACNV event
The Poet Laureate will also participate in civic events and outreach activities, including:
• Poetry Out Loud, a high school program coordinated by ACNV and the California Arts Council each spring
• Inaugural events/ceremonies
• Community celebrations
• Readings at ACNV events
• Participation in literary events at Napa Valley College and Napa Valley Writers’ Conference
And Outreach Activities:
• Regular poetry column for a local paper
• Radio/TV appearances
• Bookstore readings
• Presentations or readings at libraries, senior centers and schools
The Poet Laureate should be able to address areas in which s/he feels an ability to bring attention to Napa’s poetry community and history.
POSITION TENURE & COMPENSATION
The volunteer position of Napa County Poet Laureate will be an honorary title to be held for a term of two years. ACNV may solicit and receive donations, grants or funds or other revenue, from public or private sources, and expand those moneys to develop a stipend for the Napa County Poet Laureate or for any other expenses associated with implementing this program.
To be eligible to serve as Napa County Poet Laureate, the nominee must:
• Be at least eighteen years of age
• Be actively writing poetry and working within Napa’s literary community
• Maintain current residence in Napa County, and for at least the three previous years
• Plan to maintain residency in Napa County during the two-year term
• Have a significant body of published work and be held in high regard by the local literary community
There should be only one nomination per person.
NOMINATION SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS
The following must be submitted by the deadline date of June 1, 2012:
• Completed nomination form with signatures of both nominator and nominee;
• Statements from both the nominator and nominee;
• Up to 3 additional letters or statements of support for the nominee from individuals or organizations in the community;
• Poetry sample consisting of no more than 5 pages of 8 1/2 x 11 sized paper with no more than 1 poem per page;
• Materials should be collated into five complete packets with the application form on the top, followed by Nominator’s statement, then Nominee’s statement, then other support statements or letters, then the poetry sample. Please mail completed packets to Poet Laureate Submissions, Arts Council Napa Valley, 1041 Jefferson Street, Suite 4, Napa, CA 94559.
NOMINATION REVIEW PROCESS
A Review Panel will consist of representatives from the Napa Valley Writer’s Conference, Napa Valley College, County of Napa, Arts Council Napa Valley and at large citizens from the Napa Valley cultural community. The panel will select one nominee to present to the Board of Supervisors.
The Board of Supervisors has the right of refusal, in which case the panel will select a second nominee. The award decisions are made based on combination of past community contributions, current samples of poetry and proposed activities. Applications will be screened for adherence to guidelines. Those not meeting criteria will be removed from consideration.
IT IS IMPORTANT TO KNOW THAT THE REVIEW PANEL:
• Will determine three finalists who may be asked to submit further work and who will be interviewed individually by the Review Panel;
• Will review the nomination forms, sample work and proposals.
• Is not required to provide feedback to individual poets.
• Reserves the right to ask for further information from the nominator and/or nominee.
- 5/1/12 Call for Nominations Opens
- 6/1/12 Nomination Deadline
- 6/4/12 Nomination Review Panel Meets
- 6/12/12 Board of Supervisors officially appoints new Napa County Poet Laureate
Download: nomination form
For inquiries: contact Christy Bors, ACNV Programs Manager, at (707) 257-2117 ext.1 or via Christy@artscouncilnv.org
For submissions: Poet Laureate Submissions, Arts Council Napa Valley, 1041 Jefferson Street, Suite 4, Napa, CA 94559