Deadline: 15 June 2012
Administered by Delaware Valley Arts Alliance, the Sullivan County Arts & Heritage Grants Program is accepting applications for 2012 funding. The grants assist nonprofit organizations to present or produce cultural programming in Sullivan County.
Sullivan County nonprofit arts groups and community organizations are eligible, such as literary groups, choral groups, historical societies, orchestras, and libraries. SCAHG funds quality arts programs, projects, or services that focus on one of the following: visual, performing, literary, media or folk arts; local or ethnic culture; architecture or environmental arts.
Attendance at a grantwriting seminar is mandatory for first-time applicants, but all potential applicants are strongly urged to attend one. They are free and open to the public, but registration is required. The seminars include information on the program’s priorities and review criteria, contractual obligations, and budget and narrative development. Seminars have been scheduled for:
Saturday, May 12 at 11 a.m.
Delaware Arts Center
37 Main Street, 2nd floor
Thursday, May 17 at 6 p.m.
Sullivan County Visitor’s Association Conference Room
100 Sullivan Ave, rear entrance
To register for one of the above seminars, call 845-252-7576 no later than the day before the seminar.
Applications must reach the Arts Alliance office by Friday, June 15, 2012. This is not a postmark deadline. Faxes or emails are not accepted.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE? Sullivan County nonprofit arts groups and community organizations, such as literary groups, choral groups, historical societies, orchestras, libraries, chambers of commerce, etc.
Organizations may apply if they:
• are based in Sullivan County and have a Board of Directors or volunteers who perform board functions.
• have been in existence for at least one year.
• supply evidence of nonprofit status with one of the following documents:
- an IRS letter of Determination
- a charter issued by the Board of Regents of NY State
- an authorization as an arm of local government or
- a receipt of registration from the New York State Office of the Attorney Generalʼs Charities Bureau (available at 120 Broadway, New York, NY 10271 or online at www.oag.state.ny.us/charities).
• are not receiving direct county funding in the 2012 budget.
WHAT WE CAN FUND Quality arts programs, projects or services that focus on one of the following: visual, performing, literary, media or folk arts; local or ethnic culture; architecture or environmental arts.
WHO IS NOT ELIGIBLE? Groups or organizations who cannot be funded include:
• State agencies
• Public schools
• Organizations already receiving line item funding from the county
WHAT WE CANNOT FUND Capital expenditures; scholarships; fellowships; school activities and programs; equipment purchases; arts programs that are rehabilitative or therapeutic; prizes; entertainment costs for receptions or fund raising benefits; projects which are not open to the general public; requests which are larger than the deficit shown in your budget (total expenses minus total income); operating expenses of privately owned facilities (studios, etc.); past debts; non-incorporated chapters of organizations not located in Sullivan County.
FUNDING LIMITATIONS & DEADLINES
• the minimum funding request and grant is $300; the maximum is $2,500.
• all projects must take place before December 31, 2012.
• applications must reach the DVAA office by June 15, 2012. This is not a postmark deadline. There will be no extensions. Faxes or emails are not accepted.
PROGRAM PRIORITY Priority is given to groups:
• dedicated to long-term cultural development in Sullivan County
• reaching new and/or broad-based audiences
REVIEW CRITERIA Funding recommendations are based on the following criteria:
• clearly defined projects and budgets
• community support, participation, and access
• artistic merit of the project
• number or artists participating
• audience served
• organizational and fiscal stability
• demonstrated effort to meet the Americans with Disabilities Act requirements
REVIEW PROCEDURES The applications are read for completeness and accuracy by the SCAHG Coordinator who will notify applicants of omissions. A panel of citizens approved by DVAAʼs Board of Directors reviews the applications and recommends funding levels. Panel discussions rely solely on information provided by the applicant. Funding recommendations are based on the above program priorities and review criteria.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF ORGANIZATIONS AWARDED DECENTRALIZATION FUNDS
All grant recipients are required to:
• sign a contract for the funded project.
• send DVAA the dates, times, and locations of funded project.
• acknowledge the SCAHG Program with following statement in all printed materials: This project is made possible in part with funding from a Sullivan County Arts & Heritage Grant funded by the Sullivan County Legislature and administered by Delaware Valley Arts Alliance.
• File a Final Report Form, including a detailed budget and copies of printed materials showing the funding credit, within thirty days of project completion, but no later than January 31, 2013. Failure to complete the Final Report may render the organization ineligible for funding in the future.
FILLING OUT THE APPLICATION Instructions will be reviewed and explained at the application seminars. Information is also available by calling the the Delaware Valley Arts Alliance at 845-252-7576.
The application must be:
• signed by an appropriate officer of the organization.
• typed, hand printed in ink, or printed from a computer. Faxed applications, e-mails, and metered mail will not be accepted.
REQUIRED ATTACHMENTS This application is considered incomplete without:
• copy of verification of nonprofit status (necessary for returning applicants, as well as new).
• a financial statement for the last completed fiscal year.
• a list of the organizationʼs Board of Directors if you are incorporated, or associates if not.
RECOMMENDED ATTACHMENTS Support materials reinforce the application and may include:
• résumés of key artistic and/or administrative personnel.
• press clippings or reviews (only one or two, please).
• programs, handouts, or brochures (no more than two examples).
Download: 2012 SCAHG application
For inquiries: contact the Arts Alliance at (845) 252-7576
For submissions: Delaware Valley Arts Alliance, P.O. Box 170, 37 Main Street, Narrowsburg, NY 12764