The Writers Program supports the creation of new literary works or works-in-progress in the genres of fiction (including novels, short stories, children’s literature, graphic novels where the applicant is both the writer and the illustrator, etc.), literary non-fiction, poetry and oral traditions such as storytelling, dub, rap and spoken-word.
The program provides two levels of support for writers. The following fixed amounts are available:
LEVEL ONE: $2,000 – for writers in the early stages of their career. Applicants must have a minimum of one professionally published work (e.g. article, poem, book, etc.) Artists working with oral traditions must have a history of public performance.
LEVEL TWO: $8,000 – for writers with an established writing career. Applicants must have a minimum of one of the following:
- 1 professionally published book
- 60 pages of articles or non-fiction published in literary magazines, periodicals or anthologies
- 20 pages of published poems
- artists working with oral traditions must have a substantial history of public performance and be recognized as established artists by their peers
All applicants to this program must be published by a professional publisher. Only publishers that have an independent editorial selection process are considered professional and the author must receive financial compensation for the work. Internet self-publishing, chapbooks and writing in community newspapers, trade journals, free publications, newsletters or student magazines, does not qualify as professional publishing.
GENERAL ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
- Applicants must be Canadian Citizens, or Permanent Residents (Landed Immigrants), or have an application pending for Permanent Resident status and, if requested, be able to provide documentation to verify this.
- Applicants must be current residents of the City of Toronto and must have lived in the City for at least one year prior to the application deadline.
- Writing projects in languages other than English or French are accepted if the writing sample is accompanied by an accurate English translation.
- Applicants may receive a grant through TAC’s Writers or Playwrights Program only once every two years.
THIS PROGRAM DOES NOT FUND:
- film, video or television scripts
- anthologies or collections that include a number of writers’ works
- graphic novels where the illustrator is not the author
- children's activity books
- travel or food guides
- instruction or self-help books or manuals
- calendars, daybooks, agendas or almanacs
- index compilations or bibliographies of minimal critical content
- exhibition catalogues
- commissioned works, including industrial or business histories or biographies
- academic textbooks or books designed primarily for an educational/scholarly market
- professional reference books aimed at a specialized audience
Download: 2012 writers application
For inquiries: contact William Huffman, Grants Officer - Literary Arts at 416-392-6802 x 208 or firstname.lastname@example.org
For submissions: Complete application packages should be submitted to Toronto Arts Council, Writers Program, 101-141 Bathurst Street, Toronto, Ontario M5V 2R2