The purpose of the competition remains as it was at the outset: to encourage New Zealand writers to think aloud about New Zealand culture, and to revive and sustain the tradition of vivid, contentious and creative essay writing in this country – as embodied in the non-fiction of early Landfall contributors such as Bill Pearson, in the essays of past winners of this competition, and in the essays the journal continues to publish.
Entries for the 10th Landfall Essay Competition (2012) will be accepted from 1 May 2012. The closing date for receipt of entries is 5 pm 31 July 2012. The winning entry/ies will be published in the November 2012 issue of Landfall.
The winner will receive $3000 and a year’s subscription to Landfall.
- Essays will be fully developed, independent works and will be no more than 6000 words long.
- Essays will be on a topic of the author's choosing.
- Essays will not have been published elsewhere.
- Writers will be New Zealand citizens or permanent New Zealand residents.
- One entry per person will be accepted. Entrants should include a stamped, addressed envelope for return of their contributions.
- The judge will assess the merits of the essays and reserve the right not to award a prize. No correspondence with the judge will be entered into.
- Landfall reserves the right to publish the winning entry, and other shortlisted entries, at the editor's discretion.
- It is a condition of the competition that the winning writer's name and photograph may be used by Landfall for publicity purposes.
HOW TO ENTER
- Manuscripts should be supplied in hard and soft copies, with text saved as RTF, MS Word or text-only files on a CD. Email entries will not be accepted.
- Two hard copies of manuscripts are required. These should be typed with double-line spacing and a wide left-hand margin.
- The name, address, email and telephone number of the author should appear on a separate sheet of the manuscript. Your name should not appear on the essay itself.
For submissions: entries should be addressed to Landfall Essay Competition, Otago University Press, PO Box 56, Dunedin 9054, New Zealand, or couriered to Landfall Essay Competition, Otago University Press, level 1, 398 Cumberland St, Dunedin 9054, New Zealand