Entries have now opened for Australia’s leading bush poetry competition—the Australian Unity Bryan Kelleher Literary Award. Now in its fifth year, the competition encourages budding poets of all ages to follow in the footsteps of Banjo Paterson and Henry Lawson and pen a bush poem. Entry is free and the competition closes on Friday, 29 June 2012. Winners will share in more than $2250 worth of prizes.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. Eligibility: Entry is open to all lovers of poetry ("Entrant/s"). Employees of the Promoter or its agencies associated with this Competition and their immediate families are also eligible to enter. Entry is free.
2. Send in your Australian Bush Poetry: Australian Bush Poetry is defined as poetry with a good rhyme and metre, written about Australia, Australians and/or the Australian way of life. To enter the Competition, Entrants must fill in a competition entry form and send together with three copies of an original Australian Bush Poem to Literary Award, Australian Unity, Level 8, 114 Albert Road, South Melbourne, Vic 3205, during the Promotional Period. No responsibility is accepted for late, lost or misdirected mail. Literary pieces must be the Entrant’s original work and not copies from any book, website or other source and provided by the entrant personally (no entries from family members on their behalf permitted). Entry is free and entrants are permitted to submit up to three entries into the competition. Any Entrants under 18 must have the permission of a parent or guardian to enter.
3. Promotional Period: Promotion commences 17/02/2012. Entries close last mail received 29/06/2012. This is a game of skill and chance plays no part in determining the winners. Each entry will be individually judged by bush poetry experts appointed by the Promoter based on creativity and merit. Judging of the entries will be completed by 10/08/2012 and winners will be notified by 31/08/2012. Winners will be recognised and presented with their prize at
Australian Unity’s ‘Celebrating Australian Writers’ event on 20/09/2012. Prize
does not include payment for flights or accommodation if required. The judges' decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
4. Selection: The best literary works as determined by the judges in their absolute discretion will be awarded a cheque for the amount outlined below:
o First Prize: $1000
o Second Prize: $750
o Third Prize: $500
o Highly Commended: $100
o Young Achiever Awards: 4 x $100
o Primary School entrant: 2 x $100
o Secondary school entrant: 2 x $100
The total value of the Bryan Kelleher Literary Award is $2750.00.
The Young Achiever Awards are open to entrants under 18 years old. Prizes are not transferable or exchangeable. The Promoter is under no obligation to return any material submitted for this Competition.
5. Consent: By entering this Competition the Entrant consents and agrees:
(a) the information or literary works submitted as part of the entry to the Promoter (“Competition Material”) will be entered into the Promoter’s database and those entries for which a prize is awarded may be used by the Promoter (and its affiliates) in any media for future promotional, marketing and publicity purposes without any reference or payment or other compensation to the Entrant;
(b) the Entrant grants to the Promoter a non-exclusive, perpetual licence to use the Competition Material for the above purpose in clause 5 (a). Any new material created from the Competition Material will be the property of the Promoter;
(c) the Competition Material submitted by the Entrant is the original work of the Entrant and does not infringe the rights of any third party;
(d) the Competition is for amateur entries and:
- the Competition Material submitted by the Entrant has not won any other poetry competition or literary award or received any commendations; and
- the Competition Material submitted by the Entrant has not been published in any book, magazine, website or other source whether for financial gain or otherwise.
7. Personal Information: All personal details of the Entrants will be stored and kept secure at the office of the Promoter. A request to access, update or correct any information should be directed to that office.
Download: entry form
For queries: contact Australian Unity’s Communications Manager Gail Carland on 0429 187 105 or firstname.lastname@example.org
For submissions: Literary Award, Australian Unity, Level 8, 114 Albert Road, South Melbourne, Vic 3205