Downstate Story Inc. is an Illinois not-for-profit corporation founded in 1992 to publish Downstate Story, an independent, annual, literary magazine. Each issue contains 10 original short stories with original illustrations. Some issues also contain photographs from readings and other events.
- Downstate Story is published every fall. Each issue contains 10 original short stories and original illustrations. We accept a variety of genres so that every reader who looks at Downstate Story will find something fascinating.
- The deadline is always June 30.
- Meanwhile we also promote Downstate Story, as well as the reading of fiction in general. We hold readings, and our writers have read and been interviewed on radio and TV.
- As a not-for-profit venture, our goal is to break even financially through sales, so that Downstate Story can support itself and need not depend on subsidies, grants or advertising - though we're flexible, and not ruling these out entirely. People can help by mentioning Downstate Story and similar publications to friends, encouraging libraries to order copies, or buying copies for themselves or friends. It costs $10, postpaid in the USA, and makes a good gift. Add $2 more for non-USA postage. You can reach an order blank at the end of this page.
- We encourage potential contributors to buy a copy to support the magazine, and to become familiar with it.
- Story guidelines, in general: short fiction or narrative written to the standards of fiction, under 2000 words, never published before. Shorter is better. We prefer some connection with Illinois or the Midwest. We also need illustrators. All contributors are paid $50 on acceptance for their work. We buy first rights, including Internet publication. Anyone can submit work.
- Please enclose an SASE for a response. In this age of cheap copies we do NOT return manuscripts. We do NOT accept e-mail manuscripts, but we REQUIRE correspondance via e-mail for the speed and cost savings. If you plan to send us a manuscript, be sure you have access to e-mail. All manuscripts should have a valid e-mail address, as well as a valid phone number on the manuscript itself!
- We notify all authors of our decisions in late fall. Don't call us -- we will notify you!
For queries: email@example.com
For submissions: Downstate Story, 1825 Maple Ridge, Peoria, IL 61614