In 2012, Intermedia Arts will award VERVE grants of up to $4,000 to 4-6 emerging Minnesota spoken word poets. The VERVE grant program is designed for emerging artists who are ready to achieve their next level of artistic success, and who are interested in developing their abilities to become artistic leaders in their communities.
In addition to their grant award, recipients also participate in a 12-month fellowship program that provides community, mentorship, guidance, workshops, and resources throughout the program year.
WE ARE LOOKING FOR SPOKEN WORD POETS WHO:
• Have a history of performance and involvement in the spoken word community
• Articulate interest in participating in a creative and critical process with peers
• Have begun to receive some recognition for their artistic ability and potential
We define an emerging artist as someone whose work demonstrates a sustained level of accomplishment and commitment to the art form, but who has not yet received widespread recognition or acknowledgement as an established creator from fellow writers and/or other arts professionals.
2012 VERVE grant winners will spend 12-months supporting one another as they complete their grant projects and work to achieve their next level of artistic success. Grant winners will attend master classes with artists in a variety of disciplines, stage a final performance of their work at the end of the grant year, and attend regular meetings to discuss and workshop new ideas with other grantees. Artists will also receive professional headshots and membership to Intermedia’s ArtsHub co-working program.
Our goal is to provide financial assistance, professional encouragement, and recognition to a culturally and socio-economically diverse group of literary artists, in an effort to strengthen and support Minnesota's literary community.
Past VERVE grant recipients have used the grant to:
- Plan a tour
- Work with an artistic mentor
- Attend a festival or a conference
- Develop a full-length performance
- Create a CD or DVD
These are just a few of the possibilities. We encourage you to give serious thought to how this grant could make a difference in your career!
2012 PROGRAM SCHEDULE
All activities take place at Intermedia Arts.
- Program Orientation: Monday, September 24, 2012 | 6-10PM
- VERVE Master Class #1: Monday, November 19, 2012 | 6-10PM
- VERVE Master Class #2: Monday, January 14, 2013 | 6-10PM
- VERVE Master Class #3: Monday, March 25, 2013 | 6-10PM
- VERVE Master Class #4: Monday, May 13, 2013 | 6-10PM
- VERVE Master Class #5: Monday, July 22, 2013 | 6-10PM
- Final Showcase: Saturday, September 28, 2013 | 8-10PM
- Final Program Meeting: Monday, September 30, 2013 | 6-9PM
2012 VERVE GRANT GUIDELINES
ELIGIBILITY: In order to be eligible for a 2012 VERVE grant
• You must have been a legal resident of Minnesota for 12 months prior to the application deadline.
• You must NOT be a full-time student.
• The work you submit must NOT be for any degree or diploma.
• The work you submit must be spoken word poetry.
• You may only submit ONE grant proposal per year.
• You must be an emerging artist.
• You must have been a spoken word poet for longer than 6-months.
• You must not earn more than 50% of your income as a spoken word artist, teacher or performer
• You must have headlined, featured in or been invited to perform in at least one spoken word poetry performance in the past 12-months.
• You must commit to participating in all aspects of the program. This includes attending a program orientation, 5 Master Classes, a program photoshoot, and a final performance at the end of the grant year.
• You may not be a 2011, 2010 or 2009 VERVE grant recipient.
• You may not be, or be the immediate family member of, an Intermedia Arts staff or board member.
SELECTION PROCESS: VERVE grant applications go through two stages of review
1) Eligibility Screening
Our staff screens each application in order to ensure it is complete and meets all eligibility requirements. Incomplete or ineligible applications will not proceed to Stage 2: Artist Review.
2) Artist Review
Each year we create an exciting partnership with a nationally recognized spoken word artist. These artists select the recipients of our VERVE grants using the criteria outlined below. Past judges include: Ursula Rucker, Ishle Yi Park, Jessica Care Moore, Paul S. Flores and Meri Nana-Ama Danquah. 2012 VERVE grant winners will be notified on or before September 10, 2012.
JUDGING CRITERIA: VERVE grant applications are evaluated according to the following criteria
Artistic Quality: The artist must demonstrate significant artistic potential.
• Does the performance demonstrate artistic excellence and reflect a complete grasp of technical skill and ability?
• Is the poetic content consistent in its style, demonstrating significant knowledge of craft and clearly conceived ideas throughout?
• Is the work creative and original? Does it deeply explore the power of the art form, either in form, content, or both?
Project Merit: The project must advance the artist’s artistic and/or career development.
• Will funding this project support the creation and/or production of new work?
• Will funding this project contribute significantly to the artist’s development or advancement as a spoken word poet?
• Will not funding this project have a negative impact on the career of the artist?
Ability: The artist must be able to complete the project.
• Is the project well designed, with reasonable expectations and a realistic timeline and budget?
• Has the artist outlined specific goals/outcomes?
• Has the artist given reason to believe that s/he has the discipline and desire to complete the proposed project?
Before submitting your application, please make sure you have included ALL of the following materials. Incomplete applications are ineligible for review. NOTE: Please do not staple or bind your application. Use paperclips only.
- Cover Sheet
- Eligibility Agreement
- Emerging Artist Statement (1-pg max)—do not put your name on this
- Proposal Narrative (3-page max)—do not put your name on this
- Budget (1-page max)—do not put your name on this
- Timeline (1-page max)—do not put your name on this
- Work Samples on CD or DVD; 3 Copies (10-min max). These must be physical copies; do not send links or urls— do not put your name on this
- Written Work Samples (optional; 10-page max)— do not put your name on this
- Bio or Artist Resume (1-page max)
- Letter of Recommendation (optional; 1-page max)
- Optional Attachment (1-page max)— do not put your name on this
- Your name should appear ONLY on your Cover Sheet, Eligibility Agreement, Bio or Resume, and Optional Letter of Recommendation
- Please do NOT staple or bind your application. Secure pages with a paper clip.
- Proposals will not be returned, and may be included in our resource library for future reference.
Submission Deadline: 6PM Friday, August 10, 2012. Note: This is not a postmark deadline. Applications must be received by 6PM.
You may submit your completed application to intermedia arts via mail, email, fax or hand-delivery.
MAIL OR HAND-DELIVER TO:
Attn: VERVE 2012
2822 Lyndale Ave South
Minneapolis, MN 55408
Subject: VERVE 2012
Attn: VERVE 2012
For queries: Info@IntermediaArts.org or call 612.871.4444
For submissions: Info@IntermediaArts.org