Deadline: 15 August 2012
The Yale Drama Series is an annual international competition which is open to emerging playwrights who are invited to submit original, unpublished and unproduced full-length English language plays for consideration. The winner receives the David Charles Horn prize of $10,000, publication of his/her manuscript by Yale University Press and a staged reading at Lincoln Center Theater in New York City.
Submissions for the 2013 Competition must be postmarked no earlier than June 1, 2012 and no later than August 15, 2012.
The Yale Drama Series is seeking submissions for its 2013 playwriting competition. The winning play will be selected by the series' current judge, award-winning playwright John Guare. The winner of this annual competition will be awarded the David Charles Horn Prize of $10,000, publication of his/her manuscript by Yale University Press, and a staged reading at Lincoln Center Theater.
There is no application form or entry fee. Please follow these guidelines in preparing your manuscript:
1. This contest is restricted to plays written in the English language. Worldwide submissions are accepted.
2. Submissions must be original, unpublished full-length plays written in English. Translations, musicals, and children’s plays are not accepted. The Yale Drama Series is intended to support emerging playwrights. Playwrights may win the competition only once.
3. Playwrights may submit only one manuscript per year.
4. Plays that have had professional productions are not eligible. Plays that have had a workshop, reading or non-professional production are accepted.
5. Plays may not be under option or scheduled for professional production at the time of submission.
6. The manuscript must begin with a title page that shows the play’s title and your name, address, telephone number, e-mail address (if you have one), page count and (if applicable) a list of acknowledgments; a second title page which lists the title of the play only; a list of characters; and a list of acts and scenes.
7. Plays must be typed/word-processed, numbered and in standard professional play format. A brief biography may be included at the end of the manuscript, on a separate page, but is not required.
8. Do not bind or staple the manuscript.
9. Send the manuscript to Yale Drama Series, P.O. Box 209040, New Haven, CT 06520-9040.
Submissions for the 2013 competition must be postmarked no earlier than June 1, 2012 and no later than August 15, 2012.
Do not send the only copy of your work. Manuscripts cannot be returned after the competition. If you wish receipt of your manuscript to be acknowledged, please include a stamped, self-addressed postcard.
10. If you would like to submit an electronic copy of your manuscript please email email@example.com with your request. Upon receiving an email request for submission, we will send an email reply to the sender requesting a secure file transfer form be completed which will allow the electronic submission. Both PDF/Word document submissions are accepted. PDF submissions are preferred but not required. Please go to http://www.adobe.com/ if you need assistance converting a Word document to a PDF.
Electronic submissions for the 2013 competition must be submitted no earlier than June 1, 2012 and no later than August 15, 2012.
11. The Yale Drama Series reserves the right to reject any manuscript for any reason.
For queries: firstname.lastname@example.org
For submissions: Yale Drama Series, P.O. Box 209040, New Haven, CT 06520-9040 (or if you would like to submit an electronic copy of your manuscript please email email@example.com with your request)
Free to Enter: The Yale Drama Series Prize for Emerging Playwrights ($10,000 prize | worldwide | no entry fee)
26 June 2012Free to Enter: The Yale Drama Series Prize for Emerging Playwrights ($10,000 prize | worldwide | no entry fee)