Your world, your voice, your FACES. FACES takes readers where no other publication goes. Around the world and back, young readers get an honest and unbiased view of how people in other countries and world regions live. From the clothes they wear to the foods they eat, readers get a glimpse into the way their peers live. Each issue takes readers to a different country or region, or explores a topic of global importance.
Issue: May/Jun 2013
Deadline for queries: 6/25/12
Theme: Top 20 Cities of the World
Issue: Jul/Aug 2013
Deadline for queries: 7/23/12
Following are writers' guidelines for FACES. Lively, original approaches to the subject are the primary concerns of the editors in choosing material. Writers are encouraged to study recent FACES back issues for content and style. All material must relate to the theme of a specific upcoming issue in order to be considered (themes and deadlines given below). FACES purchases all rights to material.
A query must consist of all of the following information to be considered (please use nonerasable paper):
- a brief cover letter stating the subject and word length of the proposed article,
- a detailed one-page outline explaining the information to be presented in the article,
- an extensive bibliography of materials the author intends to use in preparing the article (if appropriate),
- a self-addressed stamped envelope.
Writers new to FACES should send a writing sample with the query.
If you would like to know if your query has been received, please also include a stamped postcard requesting acknowledgment of receipt.
In all correspondence, please include your complete address as well as a telephone number where you can be reached.
Manuscripts should be typed double-spaced and include final word count. Authors are requested to supply a 2- to 3-line biographical sketch.
- about 800 words
- Includes: in-depth nonfiction highlighting an aspect of the featured culture, interviews, and personal accounts.
- 300-600 words
- Includes: subjects directly and indirectly related to the theme. Editors like little-known information but encourage writers not to overlook the obvious.
- up to 800 words
- Includes: Retold legends, folktales, stories, and original plays from around the world, etc., relating to the theme.
The above three pay 20 to 25 cents per printed word.
- up to 700 words.
- Includes: crafts, games, recipes, projects, etc., which children can do either alone or with adult supervision. Should be accompanied by sketches and description of how activity relates to theme.
Puzzles and Games:
- Crossword and other word puzzles using the vocabulary of the issue's theme. Mazes and picture puzzles that relate to the theme.
The above three pay on an individual basis.
Queries may be submitted at any time before the deadline, but queries sent well in advance of deadline MAY NOT BE ANSWERED FOR SEVERAL MONTHS. Go-aheads requesting material proposed in queries are usually sent at least seven months prior to publication date. Due to the large volume of queries we receive, we are no longer able to notify writers whose queries are not selected for assignment.
Mail queries to:
Attn: Elizabeth Crooker Carpentiere
30 Grove Street, Suite C
Peterborough, NH 03458
Or email them to: firstname.lastname@example.org
For queries/ submissions: email@example.com