Issue 12 will be guest edited by KATE MIDDLETON in poetry. Submissions for issue 12 will be accepted from 1 May 2012 to August 30 2012.
Submissions to Mascara Literary Review are by e-mail. We only consider previously unpublished work, ie first serial rights, electronic and print. Simultaneous submissions are acceptable as long as we are notified immediately if your work is accepted elsewhere. Submissions are closed in the month of April and in the month of October.
- Send 3-5 poems and a short bio in a single Microsoft Word doc as an attachment, labelled with your name.
- For fiction, submit 1 short story up to 3000 words, or for flash fiction send no more than 1000 words in a single Microsoft Word doc as
- an attachment, labelled with your name. Due to the high volume of submissions that we receive each week we are only able to notify succesful contributors of their outcome.
- Essays, Reviews and Translations will be considered. Our preferred length is 900-1500 words for reviews and up to 5000 words for essays. Please note that essays must be typeset in Times New Roman 12 point and you must use endnotes, not footnotes for citation. We use the MLA Citation Style for acknowledging sources and references. We are a peer-reviewed journal. We assume no responsibility for the opinions of contributors. Contributors hold copyright of their work as it appears in this journal. and no part of which may be reproduced without permission.
Formatting must be in 12 point Times New Roman, 1.5 spaced. Please identify your attachment by surname. You need to write the word fiction, poetry, review or translation in the subject title of your e-mail. Our response time is 3-6 months. Please do not query before 3 months. Send your work to submissions[at]mascarareview[dot]com
Payment is applicable to Australian writers:
- Two poems: $100
- Fiction: $100
- Reviews: $60
- Translations: two or more poems: $100
We encourage you to read at least one or two issues of the journal before submitting your work.
We are unable to give detailed feedback on your work but manuscript appraisals may be applied for. There is a fee of $300 for 3000 words or for 3 poems.
For queries/ submissions: firstname.lastname@example.org